Friday, November 17, 2006

November in the Garden

I don't like to cut back too many perennials at this time in my garden. But, I'm not a fastidious gardening. I do like to let the tops of the perennials decorate the Fall & Winter landscape.
The birds like to pick at the Coneflower (Echinacea) & Tickseed (Coreopsis) seed heads.
I also like the way the ornamental grass looks on a frosty morning. The frost crystals seem to glow if the sun is shining on them.
I do cut back & clean up the old Hosta foliage. If the leaves stay on, they just make slug motels for the Winter. It's best to stop that right away! (Don't forget to bait early in Spring).
I don't have a big garden so I don't see leaf raking as a huge chore. It's kind of a relaxing mindless task, like hand weeding.
I do save the non-diseased leaves to put on the raised beds as a 'Cover Crop'. I missed the window to plant a real cover crop but this will work as a substitute.


Judy

No comments: