Sunday, February 11, 2007

Returning home

Can spring really be just around the corner? I have recently returned from a month of seminars and meetings all over the country. I decided to take a walk around my yard upon my return, expecting to see nothing but the remains of plants from last year. Much to my pleasant surprise many plants were already showing growth. My day lilies were pushing up growth thru the midst of the detritus from last year. My large stand of Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’ looked like a child had piled marbles right on the crown; the green, round, new growth already pushing upward. Many of the fruit trees in my orchard have already started budding as well. I do not know how it is that each year I still am delighted and amazed by nature. You would think that one of these years I would walk around and NOT be surprised by my gardens. It’s not as though I don’t know what is going to happen! Yet, I am still amazed as I was 25 years ago. Perhaps that is why I love gardening. Not only does it assist with the balance of the planet; helping create a sustainable environment, but also it helps me. Renewing my strength and encouraging me to get ready for the veritable cornucopia of gardening delights that will thrill and sustain me for the next year. What ever the reasons you choose to garden are. It seems that it is time to once again don the muck boots, get out the felco’s and compost and begin the process of celebrating the beautiful outdoors. I know I am ready, are you? Happy Gardening and I can’t wait to see you all again on the first show of Garden time, March 17th. Best, William

No comments: